|Prep Time: 20 minutes||Cook time: 60 minutes||Serves: 6|
This casserole is sure to spread Thanksgiving cheer—even if it’s April! We love our potatoes: They’re inexpensive, nutritious, and filling.
This is especially good served alongside the optional gravy, and along with a bread. It’s a real feast to be enjoyed any time you feel like celebrating!
- 2 onions (or 1 cup diced frozen onions)
- 1 head broccoli, chopped (or 2 cups frozen florets)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (if you are NOT adding gravy)
- 1 cup peas
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- ½ tsp sage
- ½ tsp rosemary
- ½ tsp thyme
- ½ tsp coriander
- 2 batches Creamy Mashed Potato
- Mushroom Gravy (optional)
- First, preheat the oven to 350°.
- Begin by preparing the mashed potato. You might find it easier to prepare the mashed potato in two batches, as otherwise your food processor will likely be filled to capacity.
- Saute the vegetables on the stove top in a large pot using either water or vegetable broth. Begin with the onions, cooking until they’re translucent. If you will be making the mushroom gravy, don’t add mushrooms to the vegetables; otherwise, add the mushrooms once the onions are translucent. Add broccoli and cook for several minutes. Finally, add the other vegetables.
- When the vegetables have cooked through, add the sage, rosemary, thyme, and coriander.
- Combine the mashed potato with the vegetables, mixing thoroughly.
- Spread the mixture in a casserole dish and bake for approximately one hour, or until the surface has browned pleasantly.
- While the casserole is cooking, prepare your Mushroom Gravy. This will be served spread over the casserole.